Saturday, March 22, 2008

Linux!

After working all day yesterday to get my Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn GUI to work I decided to download the official Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon iso from ubuntu.com. This time I downloaded the server edition (which does not have an automatic GUI). After spending a long time trying to format my hard drive partitions, I finally just deleted all of my Linux partitions and made new ones. This worked very well. The installation ran flawlessly. When I tried to install the GNOME GUI it took a very long time and then stopped near the end for about 45 minutes. Becuase I was getting tired and wanted to sleep, I decided to abort the operation and start in the mornng. I pressed ctrl+alt+F1 to return to my first terminal. Then, just to see if it had worked I checked all 8 terminals. To my surprise, when I pressed ctrl+alt+F7 the Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon GNOME GUI started up. I was able to use Firefox and OpenOffice after a short period of time. I also just installed Flash this morning. This is awesome!

No comments: